Throughout the 15th and 16th centuries, and even as late as the early 1900s, many sailors were oblivious about the act of swimming. The majority of them chose not to learn because of a superstition claiming that once the sea got a taste of you, it will eventually take you one day. In other cases, it was all about ignorance, since many sailors were either too young or countryfolk, looking for a job in the city. We, at Banyan Tree Divers Scuba, know that those are times long gone.
Nowadays, swimming is a recreative activity, and the introductory dive in Maui is meant not only to popularize the scuba diving sports but also teach people about the wonders of exploring a new and exciting world. Since scuba diving is a sport, it takes a little bit of everything to master it and make sure you enjoy the experience at the same time.
We are talking about things like:
- A good, reliable gear, along with the know-how regarding its use
- Above average physical conditioning, since this is a somewhat demanding activity compared to warming the couch
- Good situational awareness – not only for not missing great opportunities, with regards to the marine life but also to avoid minor incidents like stumbling over a coral or hurting yourself when in the belly of a shipwreck
- The ability to relax and control your emotions
- Knowledge of how to use buoyancy
- Good learning skills and focus, so you can take in all the new information you will be receiving from your instructor or guide
The introductory dive in Maui will teach you the beauty of exploring a world few people have the opportunity of venturing in.
The beauty of the unexplored
Although we have mapped 100% of the ocean floors, we have only explored 5% of their wonders. 95% of the world’s oceans have never been touched or seen by the human eye. And there is plenty to be discovered in the belly of the oceanic abyss. A study published in 2015 showed that scientists know 228.450 species of marine life in existence today.
Over 220,000 different lifeforms contained in the 5% we have managed to explore so far. Add to that the fact that over 3 million shipwrecks are teeming with marine life and forming complex underwater ecosystems, and you will have your hands full for years to come.
It is in our nature to explore, dissect the unknown and enjoy life in all of its forms and scuba diving is an experience which cannot be equalled by anything else. The beauty, the excitement, the adrenaline and the wonder felt with each stroke of your fin – neither of these can be adequately expressed in words; you’ll need to experience them.
Banyan Tree Divers Scuba brings you the introductory dive in Maui – a lifetime experience you can’t miss on. It will get you addicted to the first session and, as old sailors said: “Once the sea got a taste of you, it will eventually take you.” But, this time, it will only take your heart.
Introductory Dive Maui
Banyan Tree Divers Scuba
333 Komo Mai ST, Lahaina, HI 96761