Maui Hotels in Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kapalua
Planning a Maui vacation takes forethought and preparation. You will find that many of the best Maui hotels in Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kapalua are booked continuously at 97 percent capacity. Most often, visitors to Maui make flight and hotel reservations a year in advance! That is not to say that you cannot find places last minute, but options will undoubtedly be limited. If you plan to make scuba diving a priority during your visit, here is a list of the best Maui hotels to consider. Each hotel offers a quick drive to premier Maui diving sites. Banyan Tree Divers Maui shore dives in West Maui, so our list features hotel options in Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kapalua.
Top 5 Hotels Near Maui Scuba Diving
#1 The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa in Kaanapali
The Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa sits just north of downtown Lahaina on 40-acres of beautifully landscaped oceanfront property. There are over 800 guest rooms, and each room has a private balcony that allows for spectacular Maui views.
The Hyatt’s attention to detail undoubtedly contributed to placing this Maui hotel on the Conde Nast Traveler Top 10 List of Most Popular Honeymoon Resorts in Hawaii. So, why should you consider this Maui hotel when scuba diving with us?
Quick Car Ride to Maui Scuba Diving Sites
- The Hyatt is at the southern end of Whaler’s Village in Kaanapali. The location is unbeatable when it comes to convenience and proximity for Maui scuba diving. Almost all of our dive locations are just 5 to 10 minutes away from the Hyatt Regency Maui.
Snorkeling Everywhere Along the Beach
- Have a reservation with Banyan Tree Divers but cannot wait to get a glimpse of the underwater world on Maui? The Hyatt sits on a vast stretch of beach that is great for snorkeling. This beach is a protected area that remains calm even during surf swells. In addition, the beach’s shallow nature allows snorkelers to see up close what scuba divers see at deeper Maui diving sites.
Spa, Massage, and Pool Access
- After a full day of Maui scuba diving, unwind with an oceanfront massage or lay by the half-acre fantasy pool. Scuba diving is relaxing, but afterward, any diver will tell you that two things make all the difference: food and rest. The convenience of having multiple restaurants, pools, and a spa right outside the comfort of your room allows you to round out an exciting morning of diving with ultimate relaxation.
#2 The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
The Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, or Westin KOR known locally, is a timeshare property located just north of Black Rock. This 26-acre Maui hotel sits right on Kaanapali Beach, where you can step into the ocean to find fantastic scuba diving and snorkeling.
We know several guests that have owned this resort for years. The Westin KOR is a family-friendly location that features an entire pool and playground area dedicated to the kids! The spacious rooms are stunning and perfect for relaxing at the end of the day. Since it is a timeshare property, new guests are encouraged, and in some cases required, to attend a potential-owner meeting. So, why should you consider this Maui hotel for scuba diving?
Very Close to Kahekili Beach Park
- When you scuba dive with Banyan Tree Divers, nothing is more convenient than staying here in all Maui hotel options. The Westin KOR sits next to Kahekili Beach Park, also known as Airport Beach, where we often start our dive adventures. Many of our divers stay at this property. BTD loves telling guests that they may walk down from their room to meet us for morning dives. We often conduct the PADI Open Water course at this site, and guests thoroughly enjoy being close to their hotel for a quick lunch break or a stroll back to the resort after a long day of diving.
Family-friendly Resort Atmosphere
- The Westin KOR is one of the few resorts that have a large play area designated for children. If the family is not playing at the beach, then nothing beats the Pirate Pool. We often find that parents with young children want to go scuba diving but do not know how to make sure their kids are cared for while they escape for a couple of dives. This resort has a club for kids where parents can reserve childcare if they want to get away for a few hours.
Timeshare Owners Home Away From Home
- Our dive shop knows the Westin property well because many timeshare owners come to Maui year after year. As a result, we have had the pleasure of certifying entire families, watching children grow up, and building long-lasting bonds. So, if you love Maui enough to make it your annual vacation destination, then there is peace and comfort here, knowing that you have a home away from home.
#3 The Ritz Carlton in Kapalua
The Ritz Carlton in Kapalua is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful hotels in Maui. This resort sits on a whopping 54 acres right on the jaw-dropping coast of Kapalua, just north of Kaanapali.
The grounds surrounding the Ritz Carlton ooze luxury, elegance, and safety. The restaurants have incredible food with amazing views, and the service is always up to standard. Most notably, if you are a golfer, then look no further. Scuba divers that also play golf know all about Kapalua. However, why choose this Maui hotel for scuba diving with us?
Unmatched Beauty of Kapalua
- The Maui Ritz is your spot if you want to be close to all of the scuba diving that West Maui offers but away from the bustle of Lahaina and resort heavy Kaanapali. Kapalua feels isolated and sits on a breathtaking cliffside. Its seasonal weather keeps the surrounding forest lush and the views dramatic.
Kapalua Bay Snorkeling and Scuba Diving
- Kapalua Bay is one of our favorite summer Maui scuba diving spots. The beach is located a short walk from the Ritz and shapes into a half-moon of sand. Underwater almost always features sea turtles swimming through coral-covered rock formations. If your family is a mix of snorkelers and scuba divers, then this beach is perfect.
#4 Aina Nalu Lahaina by Outrigger
We must face it, Maui hotels are expensive. Maui is a top vacation destination with tons of hotels, but not everyone wants to spend an entire paycheck on accommodation. So if you rent an affordable one-bedroom located one block away from Front Street, consider the Aina Nalu Lahaina by Outrigger. Enjoy your day on the busy streets of Lahaina town, and then come home to your hidden oasis.
This place makes a great home base, with newly remodeled condos in the heart of Lahaina town. The rooms at Aina Nalu Lahaina are priced well for their perfect size. Nearby Front Street is famous for its banyan tree, ocean views, shops, restaurants, and art galleries. In addition, you will find the common areas and pool lounge provide a tucked-away sanctuary from all things Lahaina. So, would this be an excellent place to stay when scuba diving with Banyan Tree Divers Maui?
- It is next to impossible to find accommodation for less than $200 per night in West Maui, but it does exist! At last internet search, a one-bedroom spot at the Aina Nalu Lahaina costs $169. The rooms are simple yet clean and functional. Plus, this property has a great pool and hot tub setup. Overall, Banyan Tree Divers votes for Aina Nalu Lahaina as the Best Bang for your Buck! But how do you get to the beach?
Walk to Beach or Mala Wharf in Lahaina
- Mala Wharf is one of the best Maui dive sites. It is within walking distance to Aina Nalu Lahaina, and there is a beautiful, long beach with shade. Scuba divers get to see green turtles, white tip reef sharks, and big schools of fish. Many divers visit Mala Wharf multiple times in one visit to Maui. Choosing from the affordable Maui hotels, you cannot get much closer to Mala Wharf than the Aina Nalu. It is a short five-minute drive to this excellent Maui dive site.
#5 Airbnb in Lahaina, Kaanapali, or Kapalua
We had to mull this one over for a minute before adding Airbnb to the Maui hotels list. When Kev and I travel, Airbnb is our preferred accommodation search platform. We think it is excellent to experience renting from a local and having a unique place to stay.
However, islands provide finite land challenges and having too many vacation rentals can muscle out the local population struggling to find affordable housing. So before we recommend searching Airbnb for Maui accommodation, we must add the disclaimer to do some research and make sure you are renting a legally sanctioned vacation rental before you book!
- Guests that book with our small Maui dive shop usually look for a personalized experience that is slightly off the beaten path. They also want to avoid the crowds at a large resort. Finding a spot on Airbnb means that you will not have the all-inclusive amenities of resort living, but you will have the freedom of blending into the community. The key is renting from someone that lives and works on the island. In addition, the knowledge of the area from your local Airbnb host is invaluable.
Flexible Vacation Schedule
- We cannot count how many times we have had guests write to us asking if they can dive immediately upon arriving on Maui. The answer is yes! Remember, diving after flying is OK, but flying right after diving is not OK. The only hurdle people often run into is the inflexibility of check-in times at the hotel. At Maui hotels, just like almost anywhere, your check-in time is usually restricted to late afternoon so that rooms are guaranteed to be ready. Airbnb hosts often have more flexibility with check-in/check out to better fit your vacation schedule. As a result, you are likely to have a smooth transition to and from the island when you are not staying somewhere that juggles hundreds of guests daily. Banyan Tree Divers also assists guests with flexible meeting times to better work around your holiday schedule.
If there is one thing that we can say about finding Maui hotels, West Maui has accommodation to suit any need and want. Whether it is luxury, location, or endless views, a visit to Lahaina, Kaanapali, and Kapalua will not disappoint. Couple that with the fact that West Maui features some of the best Maui scuba diving, and you certainly cannot go wrong. You have found Banyan Tree Divers Maui, which is a first step in the right direction! We hope you found this article helpful if you are still looking for that perfect place to stay.